25. And he said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26. Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?” 27. And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.
44. Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” 45. Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, 46. and said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, 47. and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. 48. You are witnesses of these things (Luke 24).
- My words (in v. 44) refers to Jesus’ teaching concerning his death and resurrection (see note on 9:21–22).
- The Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms refers to the three divisions of the OT in Jesus’ day.
- “Psalms” is an example of synecdoche, in which one of the books in the Writings represents the whole.
Luke 24:45 he opened their minds to understand.
True understanding of the Scriptures is a gift from the Spirit of God. Here Jesus shows us the importance of understanding how all of redemptive history fits together(cf. 9:45; 18:34). Isn’t it interesting that Jesus commissioned His disciples to go and make disciples only after he showed them that everything written about Him in:
1) The Law of Moses
2) The Prophets
3) and the Psalms must be fulfilled ?
Listen to the sermon below.
(バイリンガルメッセージ) The Hero Of Every Story | すべての物語のヒーロー
- Audio Listen:
- [download: right click and save]
Scripture: Luke 24: 44-47. Venue: Ekklesia Christian Church. Speaker: Joey Zorina [Interpreter: Midori Aso]. Date: 2012/6/24