“. . . Jesus also suffered outside the city gate to make the people holy through his own blood. Let us, then, go to HIM outside the camp bearing the disgrace he bore. For here we do not have an enduring city, but we are looking for the city that is to come” [Heb. 13: 12, 13, 14]. Download: JoeyZ-Newsletter
On 17th Aug, 2010, I was on my way to Nisshin to practice guitar. I ended up spending time with Makio instead. I met him for the first time earlier this year. He dances in around the street corner where I live. We spent time talking about Jesus, at length, for the 3rd time. He doesn’t want to come to a Church building. But he loves to hang out at Mac Donalds. He agreed that others pray for him. The first time we met, he pushed me & my fiance away. He said he didn’t need anybody.
Makio is socially and spiritually lost. I took permission from him to post this picture. He sleeps early in the morning and wakes up late in the afternoon (like a Hikkikomori). His mom & dad are rarely at home. He considers me his only friend. He has had no purpose for 5 years now. Everyday he thinks of suicide; of slicing his wrists. His parents spend only 5 times a year with him. I realized how much Jesus loves him.
I’ve met Makio many times in the street. During our last conversation, he said to me: “With Makio all things are impossible. With Jesus all things are possible.” I invited Makio to our wedding on October 9th at Nisshin Christ Center. No one has ever invited him to a party before. He’s excited and nervous at the same time.
- Pray for the Japanese: For the 12th year in a row the number of suicide in Japan has topped 30, 000.
- Pray that God will keep us humble: Human pride is subtle and it displays itself in various ways, sometimes under the banner of God.
- Pray for God’s direction. My fiancee & I have thoughts of opening our new apartment once we’re married, so that many more people like Makio can come and find grace.
- Pray that Makio-san will know Christ, and treasure him above all things.
- Pray for our hearts: Like the older brother in the parable of the prodigal son, christian hearts can easily turn cold & unloving.